Saturday, September 21, 2013

Coffee Table to Tufted Ottoman

My living room was in desperate need of a foot rest, and I bought this coffee table at Salvation Army, thinking it would do the trick. My plan was to paint it and make it darling. It ended up being to big for the space, and it just didn't work. 
 So what do I do? Chop it up of course! Despite only having a baby 2 weeks prior, I had to take advantage of my mom (aka construction buddy) being in town.

First up: cutting the table down to the length I wanted for the ottoman.
 I cut the side panels a few inches in to make room for the legs, to match the other side. We then moved the side panel and the cross braces down from the part we cut off:

 After some hammering, some nails, glue and a few Dang its! the legs are attached.
 The table has an overhang (like all tables usually do), and I wanted it flush with the legs, so there I cut about an inch from each side.
 To prep for the tufting, I drilled holes where I wanted the tufts to go. The bit you see in the picture ended up being too small, so we had to go back with a much larger bit so we could get the needle through more easily.
 Sanding down all the rough edges:
 Once the foam is installed, the ottoman would be too tall for a comfortable foot rest, so we chopped the legs down. This part made me sad, because we had to cut my favorite part of the leg.

 We did 2 coats each of primer and paint, then followed up with a stain that we rubbed on and wiped off. I didn't have any poly, so I sprayed it with a clear sealer I had on hand.
 My lovely mom making the covered buttons for the tufting. You can see the foam in the back, we used 4 inch, though if I did it again I might have used 5 inch for more cushion.

 I didn't get a picture of this part, but we spray glued the foam to the top of the table and covered the whole thing in batting.

This is the beginning of the tufting. I used the technique used by Jenny, from The Little Green Notebook, on her tutorial for her tufted headboard.
 Backside of the table with the strings stapled. The needle I used was an upholstery needle that was longer than my hand. Scary stuff, yo.
 Once the tufting was done, all that was needed to do was stretch the fabric around the back and staple it. We made sure to create folds from the buttons around to the bottom so that there weren't wrinkles in the fabric.
 The corner folds were super tricky, and being the kind daughter I am, left those to my mom.
We finished it up with a nice nailhead trim. I think this was the hardest part for me. The wood was hard, and the nails were not the highest quality. 

 I LOVE how good they look with my favoritest chairs. They go perfectly.
 Let me tell you, I use this all the time now. It is the perfect height for resting your feet. Joe and I will place it just like the picture and we can both use it while watching a movie.

Definitely my favorite project so far.


4 comments:

Kristen said...

AMAZING!!! I love it, and it DOES go perfectly with the chairs. That must have been so much work, and look at the beautiful result! Can't wait to see it in person.

Katrina said...

Looks so great! I've been thinking of doing something similar and seeing you make one that looks so nice gives me confidence that mine might actually work, too. Wish I could see it in person!

Patty said...

Wow fantastic!

Cindy said...

Very nice, you've done a beautiful job on the carpentry and upholstery. Love it!