Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Toy Storage and Bookshelves

My little man's toys were getting out of control, and I needed a better solution than a laundry hamper to dump everything in. I love the IKEA Trofast storage system, but didn't like the price tag. I found this tutorial on Ana-white and knew I could pull it off.

I bought the actual bins from Ikea, because I figured at least those were inexpensive (I paid $50 for all of them).
 I thought I would save money by getting the lower grade plywood, but the time I spent filling and sanding would have been worth the extra money for a nicer finish. I don't have a router, so I had a friend of mine cut the grooves for me. He actually used a radial arm saw to keep the lines perfectly straight.
 All in all, I am extremely happy with the result and my little guy had a great time helping me organize his toys!
As I am looking at these pictures, I realized I never posted about the book storage! I found the instructions on ana-white.com (amazing site!). They were super easy to put together, and work much better than stacking the books on a shelf where they inevitably were knocked to the floor.

No comments: