Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tutorial: Basic waterbottle holder

This week I have been working on making water bottle holders for my church's young women to go to girls camp. They go every year, and this year I was put in charge of getting them ready for the girls. So I'm also doing a tutorial for you!
This is a very basic holder, so I finished it in about 20 minutes from start to finish. If I were making one for myself, I would certainly add a lining and use more sturdy fabric.

You'll need to start out with 2 pieces of fabric, one 10"x9.5" and one 2"x45".
We are going to start with the body of the holder. Fold the piece with right sides together so that the 10" sides are lined up (9.5" side is folded in half).
Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew down the length and one end of the square with a straight stitch.

When you are done, it should look like this.
Next, change the stitch on your machine to a large zig-zag (if you have a serger, you can use that instead).
Follow the straight stitch you just did, keeping to the outside of the stitch. This provides stability to the seam.
The next step is to create a square bottom on the bag to accommodate the water bottle.
Using the end you sewed closed, pinch the corner flat so that the seam on the end bisects the triangle you have made.
Going about an inch down from the point, pin straight across. This will be the guide you will follow to sew a line.
Sew a straight line all the way across.
Repeat with the other side.
If you were to turn it right side out at this point, the bottom would look like this.
Next we head over to the ironing board to prep the strap and the hem of the bag portion.

Fold the top of the bag over 1/4" (with wrong side out still) and iron.
Fold over again 1/4" and iron again.
If you don't typically iron your sewing projects, I highly recommend it as it helps keep the fabric right where you want it without a lot of fiddling on your part.

To iron the strap, start out with the strip of fabric wrong side up. Fold it in half and iron down the length of the strip.
Now I like to make things go as fast as I can, and ironing is the most tedious for me. This next step helps it go much faster.

Open the strip you just ironed and fold one edge in to meet the middle crease.
Iron down the length again.
Next, on the side you haven't ironed, fold that side in to the middle crease then fold again at the middle crease. Iron down the length. I do this a little at a time to make sure the fold stays.
So at this point, it will be 1/4 the width you started with. Sew a straight stitch all the way down the strap.
Next we are going to attach the strap to the bag and hem the bag at the same time.

Slide the strap up under the fold you created in the bag.
Fold over so that strap is coming up away from the bag. Pin to keep it in place.
Repeat this on the other side. I lined it up with the point on the bottom to make sure I was even with the other side.
Going slowly, hem around the edge of the fold you created. Going slow allows you to keep from catching another part of the bag in your seam!
Once you have sewn all the way around, turn it right side out so we can place a seam to stabilize the straps.
Use the smallest zig-zag stitch and sew right along the edge of the bag where the strap comes out. Repeat on other side as well.
It should look like this when you are done.
 Place your bottle inside, and go for a walk!

1 comment:

Jacob and Ashley said...

I am loving the blog! I wish I had a sewing machine so I could make all kinds of fun things. Maybe I will just have to go buy one, so I don't spend hours hand-sewing one tiny project. yeah. ridiculous I know. :)