Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Baking Mixes

I think I need to start looking at blogging as a daily ritual that I need to do in order for me to keep up with it. I miss a few days, days turn into a few more...then several weeks go by.

Anyway, cooking has been the method of creation the last few weeks as I have been trying to figure out ways to reduce my grocery bill.

First off, have you noticed how expensive bisquick is?? Worry no more, I found a recipe on Food.com to make your own. And believe me, its easy.

I also found an awesome, healthy pancake mix, also from Food.com.

I started out just making 1 batch of the recipe so I could get a feel for it and I wouldn't waste ingredients if I messed up!

Once I made up the dry mixture, I put it in a gallon ziploc bag. I am forever losing my recipes in my humongous pile of recipes, so I printed out the recipe, cut it, and taped it to the front of the bag so I COULDN'T lose it. Works like a charm.

And my grocery bill is just that much cheaper each month.


Homemade Bisquick Mix


6 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening

Sift flour, baking powder and salt 3 times into a large bowl. (I don't have a sifter, so I just wisked it for about 5 minutes).

Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. (Very important. I didn't cut in enough the first time and got bits of shortening in my dough)

Store mixture in airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 months.

Use whenever your recipe calls for "Bisquick mix".



Homemade Pancake mix

4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon baking soda

Additional ingredients for pancakes
1 egg
3/4 cup milk

OR
Additional ingredients for Blueberry Banana Pancakes (AWESOME)
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 medium ripe banana, mashed
3/4 cup blueberries (I use frozen)

In a bowl, combine the 1st 5 ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.

To prepare pancakes: In a bowl, combine egg and milk. Whisk in 1 cup pancake mix. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto lightly greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until 2nd side is golden brown. Yields about 6 pancakes per batch

OR

To prepare blueberry banana pancakes: In a bowl, combine egg, milk and banana. Whisk in 1 cup pancake mix. Fold in blueberries. Cook as directed above.

2 comments:

Shelane said...

i dont have a sifter either and always just wisk everything. you know, after i have turned the flour canister upside down and "fluffed" it.

lynnissa said...

i have this cookbook that gives the supposed true bisquick recipe if you wanna try it.

Bisquick
8 Cups Flour
1 1/4 Cups Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
1/4 Cup Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Salt
2 Cups Shortening
Combine flour, milk, baking powder, and salt in a very large bowl.
Cut in shortening until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Store in tightly
closed covered container in a cool place. Makes about 10 cups.