Thursday, February 17, 2011

Silhouette Frames

Because I have lots of projects I've already done, and only naptimes to get new ones done, I will start off by sharing with you some previous things I've done.

You may have seen silhouette frames floating around the blogsphere. I didn't like them at first, but it usually takes me a few months to warm up to something. My MIL gave me a big pile of frames, and these darling oval frames immediately caught my eye.

I knew just what to do with them!

To start, take a profile picture. I may or may not have had to take them several times to get them right. And getting one of the baby? Ha, he just wanted to look at the camera.


You can do the next step any number of ways, but I just enlarged the picture on the monitor, taped up a piece of paper and traced around it. So it helps to take the picture on a white wall. Much easier to trace.

Next, I ironed interfacing to the back of some black fabric I had to make it more sturdy (you can use paper instead of fabric). I cut the silhouette shape from the paper and taped it to the fabric. Then carefully cut around the shape to get all the little details.

For the background fabric I used some leftover fabric from my stash. Using the frame's cardboard as a template, I cut the fabric and spray glued it to the cardboard to keep it in place. Using spray glue again, attach the silhouette cutouts to the background fabric.

The frames came to me a walnut color, so I sanded them down and gave them a coat of white paint.

Assemble it all together, and you have some darling new wall decor!

1 comment:

Heather Martindale said...

THEY LOOK REALLY GOOD! NICE JOB :)