Friday, February 18, 2011

Portable DVD Case

For Christmas I bought my husband a portable DVD player to use on car trips. Meaning: I bought it so I could use it to entertain the baby on our cross country move last month.

Regardless, it was an awesome purchase. However, it had no case so I was always sticking the extra cords in the glove box or the console, then promptly forgetting where I put them.

So, of course, I had to sew a case for it, right? I didn't do any kind of tutorial for it, because frankly, I had no idea what I was doing. I just figured it out as I went along. And I just had to applique a 'J' on the front so everyone knows it belongs to us!
To keep the screens nice and safe, I used 3/4" foam for the bag and the center divider. The center divider also has a pocket for each cord.
For the straps, I used 1" webbing that I attached on the sides starting on the bottom and sewing all the way up. The flap doesn't have any foam in it and attaches to the front with velcro.

Definitely one of my favorite projects to date. Or at least the cutest.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Silhouette Frames

Because I have lots of projects I've already done, and only naptimes to get new ones done, I will start off by sharing with you some previous things I've done.

You may have seen silhouette frames floating around the blogsphere. I didn't like them at first, but it usually takes me a few months to warm up to something. My MIL gave me a big pile of frames, and these darling oval frames immediately caught my eye.

I knew just what to do with them!

To start, take a profile picture. I may or may not have had to take them several times to get them right. And getting one of the baby? Ha, he just wanted to look at the camera.


You can do the next step any number of ways, but I just enlarged the picture on the monitor, taped up a piece of paper and traced around it. So it helps to take the picture on a white wall. Much easier to trace.

Next, I ironed interfacing to the back of some black fabric I had to make it more sturdy (you can use paper instead of fabric). I cut the silhouette shape from the paper and taped it to the fabric. Then carefully cut around the shape to get all the little details.

For the background fabric I used some leftover fabric from my stash. Using the frame's cardboard as a template, I cut the fabric and spray glued it to the cardboard to keep it in place. Using spray glue again, attach the silhouette cutouts to the background fabric.

The frames came to me a walnut color, so I sanded them down and gave them a coat of white paint.

Assemble it all together, and you have some darling new wall decor!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Dad's Office

 Just after Christmas I was staying with my parents for 6 weeks, and I was just itching to help my dad finish decorating his study. He and my mom had done a wonderful job building the cabinets and desk. It just needed something else. So here is where I come in. Budget was key in this project, meaning lets do it for free. We came pretty close!

These are the before pictures (sorry for the cell phone pictures!). Notice the general disorganization and no curtains! This room was always very cold.


 And the after! With the bookshelf, the only thing I did was reorganize to add some character to the shelves.
Cost: Free!


 The new curtains, one of the only things we spent money on.  Mom, Dad and I built the little shelf above the curtains to hold knick knacks as well as act as a curtain rod holder.
Cost: wood for shelf, on hand; curtains $11/panel, curtain rods $8 (I think?): $134
Next up was the desk. The pictures were all in the room already, so we just moved them around. Previously, my dad just used a small bulletin board to pin up all his reminders. I thought he needed a more permanent, stylish solution. My mom and I screwed masonite to the wall, then spray glued 12"x12" pieces of cork to it (12 in all). We then grabbed some trim hiding in the garage and cut out little squares of wood, spray painted them black, and Presto! a beautiful bulletin board. We also stole the rug from the living room to use in here.
Cost: wood/trim and rug, on hand. Cork $3 for 4 panels: $12.
Future plans include creating a built-in file drawer under the desk with a shelf to house the printer. All in all, the job was just under $150. pretty good if you ask me!